Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Why I'm here

When I was pregnant with my son, I told my husband that I hoped our child loved books. I was a voracious reader as a kid (and still read when I have time), and looked forward to sharing great books with my son. Luckily, after reading to him constantly he has shown me that he's as obsessed with books as his mama. When my son ("A") was a baby he used to chase after me with a book in his hand and say "Read book! Read book!" And now at four and half, he still asks me to read to him everyday. I know I'm lucky that he loves books, but I'll be secretely grateful when he starts reading himself one of these days. (He knows how to read simple words, but has no interest in trying to read books himself.)

We usually go the library once a week for new material, and I only purchase the books that we can't live without. My kid is very passionate in his interests, so there was a period when we read every book we could find about lighthouses, every book we could find about maps and geography, etc. These days I often look at the new and bestseller lists to find new books.

I want to write about the books that we love, and how they have influenced our lives. (I may occasionally post about food because I also enjoy cooking.)
If you share my enthusiasm for children's books, please post your feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging, Alicea. I look forward to reading what you and your son have to say about children's books. I'm glad to hear that you've had success in turning him into a reader. {For what it's worth, a lot of research suggests that even after he can read for himself, it's great if you can keep reading to him regularly, also. This way you can read more advanced books, continue to demonstrate how much you love reading, etc.) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for the advice Jen. You are my first follower. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alicia-- like the blog! My son, Ryan, was like Andy when he was little. When he was 2, I would read to him everyday until I was almost hoarse. Caitlyn was much more of a challenge. She is very easily distracted and when she was younger I could only read to her for 10 minutes before she would bolt. Now Ryan, who is 10, still likes reading, but it doesn't hold the same magic. It is hard to compete with the xbox. The books have to be really fun for him to read. Caitlyn, though, is more interested, depending on the book. Did you want to keep your postings to books for younger kids?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin. Thanks for looking at my blog and for telling me more about your kids.
    I love books for older kids too, but I'm just going to write about the books that I'm reading to Andy right now. You should start a blog- it's suprisingly easy!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete